"To bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair." Isaiah 61:3

The Burckhard Family

The Burckhard Family

Friday, November 6, 2009

Checking off the Medical Appointments....

As the days go on, I am able to check off the medical appointments needed for both Bella and Grace. Today, with the help of our Jen, we headed off for Grace to have her blood drawn to check up on her thyroid. She has been complaining of being tired lately. She says "I not sick, I tired!" And her gym teacher said she is wanting to go off and lay down on the stage in the gym instead of playing with the other kids--that is so unlike her! I put the Emla cream on the crooks of both elbows with band aids covering them and off we went. She was so good at the lab. She asked the young man drawing her blood "What's your name?" He told her "Josh." She responded, "Oh, thank you, Josh." He said, "I think that is the first genuine thank you I have ever gotten here!" Soon, we will know if we should adjust her meds for her hypothyroidism. After the labs, Jen took Grace to the car while I took Bella to see an on-call Doctor.

First off, the nurse weighed and measured Bella. She has gained THREE pounds since coming home 2 1/2 months ago. At this rate, she will be gigantic in a year. LOL

Upon the Dr.'s exam and irrigating her wax-filled ears, she was diagnosed with a double ear infection and a sinus infection. Poor thing. No wonder she hasn't been her usual upbeat self!

So to date, Bella has has had a hearing eval, entered speech therapy, and is on her first round of antibiotics not to mention that nasty ear flushing episode! We still have to do a full blood work up on her, xrays of her spine and hips, and vision check. On November 19th she will be evaluated for her preschool which begins in January. Slowly but surely we will check these appointments off.

All in all, she is a strong, self-determined little girl. I am so proud to be her Mama!

4 comments:

  1. And rightly so! I understand that you are proud! She is one really precious girl - and so pretty too!


    - I'm blogging for Nadya; to help her find a family -

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand what you mean with checking off the Dr. appts. Between normal vaccinations, check ups, pediatric infectious disease doctor visits, med checks, blood draws, dentist visits, etc., etc., etc. I feel like we are there all the time. And still Victoria is happy and loving! I think I wouldn't be so nice to me if I were her;)

    Sorry to hear about Bella's ear infection. Morgan just had a double ear infection last month. I hope the antibiotics will work quickly and she will be feeling back to herself in no time. I will also pray that Grace will be feeling back to her cheerful self very soon! It is no fun when they aren't feeling great.

    BTW - when I opened your blog Victoria pointed right at Bella's picture and said Bogdana!! It was so sweet to see that she still remembers her.

    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  3. Milena - that's great of you to do for little Nadya! I'll check it out to be sure!

    Jaimie - so good to hear from you. Victoria sounds like a good little trooper! I know what you mean about feeling like a big meanie with the med stuff. And, hearing that Victoria recognized Bella's picture brought tears to my eyes! Thanks for sharing!

    Love, Paula

    ReplyDelete